VA MINIMUM PROPERTY REQUIREMENTS
1. Access is year-round, independent of your neighbor’s property and has enough space between buildings
for exterior upkeep.
2. Property is a single and marketable piece of real estate with:
- At least 75% residential space
- A bathroom and space for living, sleeping, cooking and dining
- Not more than 4 units sharing laundry, storage, utility room
- Separate shutoff for water main, sewer, gas and power
- Protected connections and proper maintenance agreement if water well is shared
- Safe, appropriately sized mechanical system in good condition and unexposed
- Detailed VA appraiser report for unvented gas fireplaces or fueled heaters
- Water supply (either city or well) is continuous and safe for drinking from the
source with heater for hot water
- If water well is shared there must be enough water for all units at the same time
- Waste flows safely into septic or public sewer
3. The Roof is free of leaks and any repairs done consist of removing old shingles with 3 or more layers before replacing with new ones.
4. Attics and Crawl Spaces have natural ventilation, access, are free of debris and have enough room to make repairs to ductwork, electrical and plumbing.
5. Party Walls or shared walls separating semi-detached or row units have no gaps from foundation to roof.
6. Site has proper drainage away from structure and ground cover is stable; and the property cannot be
within the easement of high voltage transmitters or gas or petroleum pipelines -- if within 220 yards of a
gas or petroleum pipeline, additional approval is needed.
7. Structure is sound, clean and free of dry rot, decay, mold, fungus, peeling paint, broken windows, bad
construction, poor craftsmanship, dampness, leaks, exposed wires, evidence of continuing settlement and
termites and other pests.
The VA Minimum Property Requirements require a property to be free of hazards that can hurt the occupants or prevent them from using and enjoying the property.
For more info contact a VA approved lender.
Thanks to the VA for this information.